2018 Celtic Calling Play Writing Contest
These plays were selected from over 50 plays to be performed during the Festival:
Four honorable mentions, in no particular order, are:
Hamlet in Hiding by Rich Rubin
The Egg and the Branch by Stephen Murray
Til the End of the Dawn by Lia Rodriguez
Kennedy’s Acolytes by Jack Gilhooley
Our Judge’s Choice Award goes to
Knock by Lezlie Revelle
Congratulations to our winners, and to all of the entrants—our jobs were exceedingly difficult this year!
Still up for grabs for these five is the Audience Choice Award, which will be selected March 4 by those purchasing tickets for the performances at the Boulevard Tavern!
FYI, These are the rules for out Annual Playwriting Competition
Celtic Calling Announces 2018 Playwriting Contest!
Calling all playwrights, storytellers, bards, jesters, minstrels and other like-minded folk!
Celtic Calling is now accepting submissions of original plays, vignettes, or one-acts, not to exceed thirty minutes, with a ‘Celtic’ theme, to be performed during the weekend of the Third Annual Celtic Calling, March 2-4, 2018, at a location to be determined. The deadline for submission is December 31, 2017, and the winning submission will be announced no later than January 15, 2018. A $100 stipend will be provided to the writer(s) of the winning entry.
1.All proposals and scripts must be typewritten and emailed to CelticCallingCopperPintPlay@gmail.com by December 31, 2017, at 5:00pm.
2. Multiple submissions are permitted, as are collaborations between writers.
3. The submission must be original, and the entrant must have the rights of performance prior to submission. Celtic Calling will be granted exclusive rights of performance from the time of submission through March 31, 2018.
4. The play should not exceed thirty minutes.
7. Celtic Calling may charge for tickets to the performance, which will go to offset the costs of production of the play and/or festival.
8. The submission must have a ‘Celtic’ theme, which is solely up to the interpretation of the reading committee.
9.The play will be selected by a committee, whose decisions are final, including the decision not to decide, should the entries not meet the requirements or other standards.
For more submission opportunities, visit PlaySubmissionsHelper.com/blog for a list of tons of contests and other play submission opportunities
Celtic Calling 2016 / 2017 ‘Playwriting Contest- Winners'
The 2016 Celtic Calling Playwriting Contest was won by Huntington’s ‘Murder and Merriment,' who performed ‘An Irish Wake’ at the Copper Pint Pub during the inaugural festival.
2017 Judges' Honorable Mentions
- “Faith and Begorra,” by Suzanne Bailie of Kent, Washington
- “MacSPIN,” by Seth Freeman, of Los Angeles, California
- "Surfing in Munich,” by Rex MacGregor of Auckland, New Zealand
- “Cliffs,” by Colin Mattox of Cedar Falls, Iowa.
Our judges selected “A Visit to the Mermaid,” by Dorothea Cahan of Boynton Beach, Florida, as the 2017 Celtic Calling Playwriting Contest Winner!
All 5 players were performed by Charleston Actors and Actresses at Boulevard Tavern during the Festival.
Winner of the Audience Award - 'MacSpin' by Seth Freeman.