Celtic Calling 2017 ‘Playwriting Contest-Staged Reading’
The 2016 Celtic Calling Playwriting Contest was won by Huntington’s ‘Murder and Merriment,' who performed ‘An Irish Wake’ at the Copper Pint Pub during the inaugural festival.
Congratulations to our 2017 Judges' Choice and Honorable Mentions for the second annual Celtic Calling Playwriting Contest!
Our winner and Honorable Mentions will be performed as staged readings on Sunday, March 5, at 4:00pm at The Boulevard Tavern, (Adm. $5); and compete for the Audience Favorite Award, voted on by the audience in attendance!
Our Honorable Mentions are:
- “Faith and Begorra,” by Suzanne Bailie of Kent, Washington
- “MacSPIN,” by Seth Freeman, of Los Angeles, California
- "Surfing in Munich,” by Rex MacGregor of Auckland, New Zealand
- “Cliffs,” by Colin Mattox of Cedar Falls, Iowa.
Our judges selected “A Visit to the Mermaid,” by Dorothea Cahan of Boynton Beach, Florida, as the 2017 Celtic Calling Playwriting Contest Winner!
Congratulations and ‘good luck’ to our winner, our honorable mentions, and to all of the over 30 entrants—the competition was fierce and the decisions, difficult!
Join us on March 5 to see and hear the winners, perhaps be pulled out of the audience to read onstage, and to choose the Audience Favorite Award!
FYI: This is the information for entry into the now closed, 2017 Competition. Submission details may change, but it gives an outline of what to expect for 2018.
Calling all playwrights, storytellers, bards, jesters, minstrels and other like-minded folk!
Celtic Calling, is now accepting proposals for production of original plays, vignettes, or one-acts, not to exceed one hour, with a ‘Celtic’ theme, to be performed during the weekend of the Second Annual Celtic Calling, March 3-5, 2017, at a location to be determined. The deadline for submission is December 31, 2016, and the winning submission will be announced no later than January 15, 2017. One or more winning entries may be selected and will be given a $100 stipend.
1.All proposals and scripts must be typewritten and emailed to CelticCallingCopperPintPlay@gmail.com by December 31, 2016, at 5:00pm.
2. Multiple submissions are permitted, as are collaborations between writers.
3. The submission must be original, and the entrant must have the rights of performance prior to submission. Celtic Calling will be granted exclusive rights of performance from the time of submission through March 31, 2016.
4. The play should not exceed one hour.
7. Celtic Calling may charge for tickets to the performance, which will go to offset the costs of production of the play and/or festival.
8. The submission must have a ‘Celtic’ theme.
9.The play will be selected by a committee, whose decisions are final, including the decision not to decide, should the entries not meet the requirements or other standards.